Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Playing with watercolors

I have always admired the beautiful cards that I have seen others make with watercolor backgrounds and so it was time to try it myself. I taped a piece of Strathmore Paint Pad paper, yes the same paper I use for my pencils, down onto my glass mat and used my Crayola Watercolors and got busy. I applied water to the paper first and then dropped the paint on, but I found that the paper did better with pencils than with wet paints. So it needed a bit of help with a brush.


Once my 9x12 page was dry, I pulled out my dies from my stash and got busy. My first card has a wider frame cut from the paper and then popped up with foam tape. I placed a tea cup stack, also cut from the watercolor page in the center.


My second card has layered cardstock in green and yellow with the teacups cut in green and the inserts of the watercolor cut pieced into these cups.


The next card is a panel of the watercolor background with a circle of hearts cut in the center.


While making the previous card, the hearts and dots that cut out of the panel stayed in the die. So I applied glue to the back and added them to this card with a circle frame around them.


This card has the forest scene cut out of the watercolor background. I masked off the outer edge of the white panel and inked a sunrise background in the space with Memento dewdrop inks. I then added the white panel onto a blue cardbase.


And my final card is extremely simple. I die cut the children on the see-saw out of the watercolor paper and applied it to the front of a card as the only focal point. I love this card for its clean and simple look.


I did not add any sentiments to these cards as for the most part they can be used for any occasion and so I will apply the sentiment when I am ready to use the card. I will definitely be playing some more with this background technique.

General supplies:
Strathmore Paint Pad paper
Reflections 110lb heavyweight cardstock for card base
Paper studio blue cardbase
Crayola watercolor paints
Dies from my stash
Memento dewdrop inks

Entered into the AAA Cards CAS Game #124 - Imagine
Entered into the QKR Stampede Challenge #314 - Anything Goes
Entered into the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Anything Goes Challenge #90
Entered into the 613 Avenue Create Anything Goes w/Optional Twist: Clean and Simple #213
Entered into the Artistic Inspirations Anything Goes Challenge #207

7 comments :

  1. you've been busy playing with your backgrounds there. pretty cards as a result too.Loving the colors together, thank you for playing at AAA cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gorgeous background with the teacup die! Thanks for joining our weekly challenge at QKR Stampede!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your cards look lovely. Great technique to create beautiful backgrounds and cut out images from the same. Very nice imagination. Thank you for playing along with us at AAACards. Happy Crafting. Hugs - Bharati

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing assortment of cards. Loved seeing how you used the dies in two different ways, both the cut and its reverse image. I don't usually thing about using both. Thanks for the inspiration. That is one of the cutes images EVER. And your excellent coloring brings the little beauty to life. Thanks for joining us at QKR Stampede this week. DT Kathy [https://myasperations.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing set of card, really rocking those colours. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining us at the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges for our latest challenge.  {Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges}Good luck and join us again soon. Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful cards, Monica! Amazing cards, you've cleverly used all the elements of your amazing watercolor backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top