Friday, May 11, 2018

Let's be square

Life has been rather busy and I had some custom teddy bears to make, so I was a few days behind on my House Mouse card for the current challenge. The theme is Let's be Square and so what better opportunity than to make a first attempt at a 3D popup box card.


I used the image called Catchin' Some Shade! I colored the image with my Prismacolor colored pencils. But as you can see, those guys forgot their sunscreen. They have red noses and red bellies - not good!


I cut the 3 mice and the umbrella out with my Silhouette Cameo, using the PixScan mat. They cut out very beautifully. I ran a black marker along the cut edge to apply a finishing touch.


I created the box part of the card with my paper trimmer and score board. I adhered decorative panels cut from sand patterned paper and also sponged the edges of the cardstock flaps. The umbrella was added to the longer back panel as part of the backdrop and the 3 mice on the various box inserts to complete the 3D look. The backside of the long part got a lighter colored panel on which I wrote my note to the recipient. I added a sentiment that I stamped in Versafine Onyx Black ink and clear heat embossed to the front flap. I used a label die to cut the sentiment out with.


When folding the card to the side, all the popup elements lie flat. While I have the flaps still down in this photo to show how the inserts go flat, I folded them up to cover the contents before inserting the card into the envelope.


And yes, the 3D popup box card does fit into a standard notecard sized envelope as demonstrated here.


Warmer weather is finally arriving to those of us living on the northern side of the equator. But don't be like these mice - remember your sunscreen.

General supplies:
Strathmore Paint Pad paper
Medium and light yellow cardstock
Sand patterned paper
Prismacolor pencils
Stitched label die
Stamp from stash
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Clear embossing powder

Entered into the HMFMC Anything Goes/Optional theme "Let's be Square" challenge #265
Entered into the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Anything Goes Challenge #81
Entered into the Little Miss Muffet Challenge Anything Goes Challenge #188

5 comments :

  1. Hi Monica Love this great card in a box.. sweet images super take on the option theme Squares..

    Thanks for sharing with us @ House Mouse and Friends Mon. chall. good luck.

    smiles Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this design and so do folks who receive one! What a fun scene you created with your card. And the paper is perfect for the beach scene. Thanks for sharing your creation with us and joining the fun at the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your housemouse box is so cute! Great work!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous box card!!! You won on "House Mouse" challenge btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling box card, Monica, all the details are perfect! Thanks for joining us at Little Miss Muffet Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top